Monday, July 9, 2012

"Charm Flag" Wall Hanging

Pattern designer Carol Bader's "Charm Flag" wall hanging project was published in the May/June 2011 issue of McCall's Quilting (Vol.18, No.3).

I combined white with red and blue "star" fabrics to make my folksy version of the wall hanging. Our air conditioning was out for four days last week, so I pieced the curvy blocks together on my Featherweight in our motorhome, where there was plenty of cool air. Working on the project provided a pleasant diversion leading up to Independence Day.

A template is included in the magazine for cutting the curved blocks, which Bader instructs to piece by hand, but I wasn't patient enough to do that. I did quilt my wall hanging by hand, though. Edges were finished with a knife-edge hem, also stitched by hand.

On the back of the wall hanging, I attached little pockets that hold strong magnets, so I could display my expression of prideful patriotism on the front door of my home.


4 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a great idea to put pockets for magnets Anne! My front door is metal too and it's hard to hang anything on it. blessings, marlene

Connie said...

What a beautiful wall hanging and I agree with Marlene, great idea to make the pockets for magnets!

hollymerry60 said...

Hi Anne,
I have been looking for the pattern for this flag! My friend tore out the first two pages from her magazine for me but didn't get the pattern from the back page. Could you Please copy or trace it for me and send it to me? I would appreciate it SO MUCH and will gladly pay for the postage! Thanks, Holly

Anne said...

Holly,

I would be happy to send it to you. Email me at acarp@swbell.net with your address.

Anne